Sunday 15 May 2011

necessity?

I have to admit that as first time parents we are sometimes lost in what you need for a baby, what is a nice to have and what is ridiculous ... some of the products below highlight this point!

Diaper Genie

There are loads of nappy disposal systems on the market, some parents (including very good friends of ours) hail them as one of the ultimate must haves for a newborn, some on the other hand highlight their issues (with quite graphical stories and mishaps). I just cant help thinking that they are a little icky ... some hold up to 30 nappies ... 30 nappies sitting there all wrapped up until the system needs emptying. From what I've heard of newborn poo that can't be a good thing, even with sealing and carbon filtering! I'll be disposing of my nappies straight away thank you very much!


Changing Table



I have to say I was in the for camp for this one ... until I spoke to every other parent I know. Some had made the purchase and used them for around three weeks and others had been put off due to safety issues. Many I know actually change their babies on the floor due to both safety and preference. Also, when the baby becomes too big/wriggly to change on the table you end up with a totally redundant piece of furniture. Most furniture ranges include a drawer unit which incorporates a removable changing top - after weeks of research I think that these are the best option if you are still dead set on a dedicated piece for changing. I think we'll be going for a straight forward chest of drawers and adding a changing mat on top which we can then move when the baby gets bigger - without paying a premium.


Nursing Chair



Now ... it's not the concept of these that I don't get, it's the purpose designed chairs - all the nursing chairs/gliders that I have seen are just plain ugly! I think it's a great idea to have a dedicated chair and area to nurse and soothe the baby, somewhere that becomes familiar and relaxing to baby, and is also comfortable for the parents. I've opted for an ikea poang chair and matching footstool, something that we can move to the living room as the baby grows.


Moses Basket



One of our friends has let us borrow their basket and stand (we'll be getting a new mattress) which is great but from what I've heard they aren't really worth purchasing. Until your little one arrives you're not really certain of their size which can determine how long they will be in a moses basket for (some of what I've read states this as briefly as two weeks), also many babies won't settle in a basket - preferring to move straight to a cot. A friend of mine who splashed out on a M&P basket and stand to go with the nursery decor will openly tell you that they are 'a load of rubbish ...  precarious and not sturdy enough for a newborn baby', when born her son weighed 5lbs11oz.


Wipe Warmer



I don't think I need to go any further!


I realise what some people find ridiculous some people can not live without so, with all this confusion, I've been trying to compile a list of items to purchase for our new arrival, I think I'm on the 18th version ... I promise I'll post version 19 when it is complete!.

Cx

No comments:

Post a Comment