Tuesday 2 August 2011

34 weeks!

Not long to go now! Yesterday I was 34 weeks through my first pregnancy...

What a week! I decided some time ago to take time off before the baby arrives, just to get everything including myself ready. What I wasn't prepared for was quite how emotional I would feel finishing work. I'm really lucky to have a job that I love and I work with some brilliant people. They certainly made sure I went out in style, I had a week full of treats including an 100% surprise baby shower. I was thoroughly spoilt. The week went by in such a blur of finishing tasks, handing over and receiving gifts ... I even contemplated staying on for an extra week (for like a minute!).

My body took the opportunity last week to remind me that I do need to slow things down and rest, I am after all carrying round another person! That's right - Braxton Hicks. I've read time and time again that on the whole they are pain free ... not mine. Last week they got so strong that I was almost double over in pain. Not good for the hubby's nerves bless him! I've found the best thing for me is to relax, drink plenty of water and if they still linger a nice hot water bottle tends to do the trick. But, just in case the next lot are not these pain free tests (?!!) that we hear so much about I've downloaded a contraction tracker app - technology is a wonderful thing!

We went to visit my dad and stepmum over the weekend, it was fab. We went o Lincoln on Saturday where there was a special Punch and Judy day - loads of P&J acts had come to the city for one day, raising money for charity. It was so nice to see all the kids enjoying something so traditional ... what made it even better was the weather, hot and sunny for a change! On Sunday we went out for breakfast to the Purple Cow in Cottingham, as the weather was even better we enjoyed it al fresco. It was halfway through my eggs benedict that I decided us brits don't 'do breakfast' enough, maybe when the baby arrives it's something we can do on a regular basis. I would thoroughly recommend the Purple Cow if you are in the area - fantastic food and a lovely atmosphere.

And finally, yesterday I went for my 34 week scan. Usually you would only have a scan at around 12 weeks and again at 20 weeks. I had this one because at my 20 week scan the placenta was low lying. I wasn't as nervous for this scan as the previous ones, I think because we have such an active baby I wasn't too concerned about that aspect. This was more about the logistics of how he/she would be delivered. As soon as the sonographer put the images on the screen my heart melted, you know that they are growing just by the size of the bump but to see how far they have come on is amazing. At this stage they are too big for the full body shots that you get at 20 weeks but, to be honest, the detail at this stage is far more mesmerizing. We got to see little chubby cheeks, a little button nose, tiny toes ... and our baby sticking it's fingers up at us, charming! Thankfully the placenta is well out of the way, I can plan for a natural delivery and pack my bag accordingly. Unfortunately we haven't got any photos of the scan to share, but it's not that long until we'll have photos of our little bundle to show you!

Looking forward to my first full week off work, although it's a busy one! Midwife appointment today, and visiting friends with babies for the rest of the week - yay!!

Cx

No comments:

Post a Comment