Wednesday 3 August 2011

to pack or not to pack??

Today I am packing my hospital bag, I had been putting this off until I knew what type of delivery I would be packing for, as everything went well at my scan on Monday I'm planning for a natural birth ... and packing everything I think I'll need for that. I know I've mentioned before that I'm not a light packer so this is going to be an interesting one! I've done some research around and compiled the following list ... I love a good list!


During Labour
  • birth plan (I still need to work on this but to be honest I'm pretty open to everything, until Monday a planned cesarean was one option that I had to get my head round so after that anything goes!)
  • night shirt/dress (I'm going to pack two for this stage in case I get too hot and need to change for comfort)
  • light dressing gown (in case I'm one of the women who paces the corridor to help things along, this will also be handy in the post natal ward)
  • flip flops (rather than slippers for me, I find them more comfortable)
  • socks (apparently while the rest of you is boiling your feet can get cold)
  • lip balm/vaseline (I wouldn't go anywhere without it!)
  • cooling spray (I think I would get rather annoyed with one of those little fans)
  • hairbrush, hairband and bobbles (to keep my hair out of my face)
  • dream genii (not sure about this one but I've seen women being told to rest many a time on OBEM so I might just put it in the car and hubby can retrieve if needed)
  • magazines (just in case I get a chance to read, could be a good opportunity to read all the back issues of marie clare that are stacking up!)
  • phone charger (so I don't run out of juice the minute the baby arrives)
  • lucozade (for that much needed energy boost)
  • cereal bars/dried fruit (not too heavy but packed full of energy releasing goodness)
In addition to all this I'll also be bringing a birthing ball, and stocking up my phone with good (some would say that was questionable given my taste) music to play.




After Labour
  • toiletries (I've been and stocked up on miniatures - toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo and conditioner, shower gel, body lotion, moisturiser and deodorant)
  • 2 packs of maternity pads (yuck!)
  • breast pads (I've had to start using these already!)
  • big cheap knickers (less glamour more comfort)
  • nursing bras
  • sleep wear (I think I'm going to get some new bottoms and wear the dressing gown from above for easy breast feeding)
  • towels (not sure if the hospital will provide so I'll check this one!)
  • comfy going home outfit (I am under no illusion that I will be back to my pre-pregnancy shape instantly so I'll make sure to pack comfortable trousers, a loose top and some flat shoes)


Birth Partner

Best not forget the hubby in all this!
  • change of t-shirt, pants and socks (I will not be letting him out of my sight even if home is only 10 minutes away from the hospital!)
  • snacks and drinks (I know they are available at the hospital but it would be nice to have something there for him to save him having to hunt for food)
  • phone charger (as above)
We'll be updating our contacts on the phones to make sure we have everyone ... that said given the size of our families we may have to adopt a phone tree! I'm sure Mark will download some games for his phone to keep him occupied should the scenario arise ...


New Arrival

The best bit! When we toured the hospital the wards were very warm, and historically so has September (queue flashback to our glorious wedding nearly three years ago!) so this list tries to cover both warm and cool scenarios ...
  • 3 vests & 2 sleepsuits (see both warm and cool ... with spares!)
  • nappies (I'll pack a couple and have a whole pack in the car)
  • wipes (I know you're not supposed to but the midwife advised to use them to clean up the first bowel movement)
  • head to toe wash (we were told not to invest in the whole range of toiletries out there but a gentle wash like johnsons head to toe would be good if you wanted to use it)
  • small pack of cotton pads (again we have been advised against the balls or pleats just because they make more mess than they clean up)
  • 2 pairs of socks
  • 2 pairs of scratch mitts
  • hat
  • cellular blanket
  • coming home outfit (we have too many to choose from so it may have to go to a vote!)
Of course we'll also have the car seat (cybex aton for us) in readiness for taking the little one home.

Now from my research this is generally what they recommend you take, it seems like a lot but I can genuinely see the point in everything on the list, knowing me I'll probably sneak some more items in too!!

Would love to hear your thoughts - did you pack way too much, or have I missed something that you couldn't have done without??

Cx

No comments:

Post a Comment