Monday 11 July 2011

31 weeks!

Today I'm 31 weeks through my pregnancy, which means we can expect our little bundle within the next 7 to 11 weeks.

To be honest, I've not had a great week. The tiredness has set back in and I've been really uncomfortable. I mentioned that at 29 weeks the baby was transverse and I think this is starting to cause me some problems now, as the baby tries to move around and get in the right position. I was waking up in the morning with a really sore pubic bone and 'pressure' down below. It got so bad that on Friday, when I couldn't get hold of my usual midwife, I had to visit the ante natal department of a local hospital to be checked out. It was for peace of mind really, I just wanted to be reassured that either what I was experiencing was normal or if not what exactly it was. Turns out my SPD has flared up again as the baby is trying to turn and putting more pressure on my pelvis. It's is quite common but some women experience SPD during pregnancy and it is not diagnosed or dimsissed as just another symptom - I thought I would use this post to give you a bit more information about the condition and what I think has helped me ease the pain.

What is SPD?

SPD, or symphysis pubis dyfunction, is a condition mostly associated with pregnancy and childbirth, it affects the front connection of the pelvis called the sympysis pubis (or pubic bone).During pregnancy a hormone called relaxin is released to relax the ligaments holding the joints together to allow these joints to move more easliy when delivering the baby. These joints can sometimes become too loose during pregnancy, causing pain and inflamation, this is known as SPD.

SPD is most likely to occur mid pregnancy, if you have experienced SPD with a previous pregnancy you are more than likely to have it again with any further pregnancies.

What are the symptoms?

Pubic area and groin pain are most common, but the pain can manifest itself elsewhere including the lower back, lower abdomen, legs and (like me) hip joints. In fact, I could also hear the joints of my hips clicking as they moved.

The pain can get worse when doing activities which stretch the joints, including walking, getting in and out of cars, bed, baths etc. Pain can also worsen at night when more pressure is on the joints as you lie down.

Some women experience mild discomfort, while for others it can be a really debilitating condition where the use of crutches to support walking is required.

How long does it last?

Generally (I'm told) as the condition is pregnancy related symptoms should reduce and dissapear shortly after having the baby - around 6 weeks. However, some women require further treatment or even surgery to treat the condition following birth. I've read lots of stories and been told varying advice on this one so I think I'm best off to leave it there and let you know how I get on! 

What is the treatment?

If you think you are experiencing symptoms of SPD go and see your midwife or doctor, don't leave it too late as the symptoms can get worse and really uncomfortable, they should refer you to a physio who will assess you further and advise on the best treatment for you. I was referred to a physio who gave me a number of exercises specific to the areas I was experiencing pain and also a support band which helps to tighten the joints together, almost like a girdle.

These are some of the other things I think have really helped me -

  • Make sure you do your pelvic floor exercises, this will strengthen the muscles which will add extra support to the baby when it drops, reducing the amount of pressure on the pelvis.
  • Keep active, take short walks on even terrain which will help to strengthen your core muscles and ease any pains.
  • Crawl! No seriously, spending time on your hands and knees each day releives the pressure on the pelvis. Apparently it also helps the baby get into the correct position for birth ...
  • If like me you seem to attend meeting after meeting at work, start saying no. Sitting in uncomfortable meeting chairs for extended periods of time will do you no good ... and you should be taking it easy!
  • If you can manage it have a long soak in a nice warm bath, the heat helps with the pain and the bath itself will relax you, easing any tension in the joints. Just make sure you have someone to help you in or out if it is quite painful. If it is too painful a good old hot water bottle where you experience the pain should help.
  • Sleep on your left hand side and use pillows in between your legs to reduce the pressure on your joints. I swear by my dream genii pillow which is specifically designed to help you sleep in this position.
  • Finally, sit down when getting dressed and putting on shoes (I honestly can't say I follow this one 100% of the time myself!).
I'm so glad I went to the hospital, the staff were so friendly and helpful and really did put my mind to rest. I think if you have any queries, no matter how silly it may seem you should always contact the professionals. Better safe than sorry and afterall that is what they are there for!

More about this baby moving and causing these problems - well it wasn't transverse anymore, now its oblique! At least it's a move in the right direction. Although who knows what position it will be in for my next appointment, if the movement from last night is anything to go by the baby seems to be doing somersaults!! We'll just have to see what tomorrow brings.

Cx

No comments:

Post a Comment